Friday, April 16, 2010

P.A.A.S - the birth of a blog

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing (Socrates)
There is no truth, there is only perception (G. Flaubert)
There is no spoon (The Matrix)
The world is not beautiful, therefore it is (Kino no Tabi)
I don't think it would be bad to live in the darkness remembering the light (Mushishi)



Just a few quotes from philosophers, movies and anime series I really like. I’m Sunagan, by the way, nice to meet you! I’m attempting to start a blog, so here you have it, my introductory post! In fact, people around me have been bugging me for some time to start a blog, but I always considered myself as being too lazy for this kind of thing – I’d rather watch as much anime as possible than to write about it. Still, I changed my mind – that’s what women tend to do, isn’t it? – and figured it could potentially be a lot of fun. I’m almost notorious for my clumsiness with computers in general, so my Anime Planet pal Omurqi kindly offered his help on the technical aspects of creating and maintaining this blog, while I will be primarily concerned with the blogging itself (although I might occasionally trick him into writing a guest blog post, as he’s not at all a bad writer himself). Anime Planet, by the way, is a wonderful site for keeping track of your watched, watching and want to watch anime. It’s also great for discussing anime with others, and, of course, for stalking mine and Omurqi’s profile, in the remote case you’re starting to feel interested after reading all this bullshit xD.






I’m a 2nd year Psychology student in the Netherlands, a clarinet player with a passion for 20th century classical music (the stuff that most people find disturbing or at least weird, like Stravinsky, Poulenc, Messiaen, Debussy, Martinu and the like). I also like cooking, reading and philosophizing. Most importantly, I’m a severe anime addict with a watching average around 10 episodes a day – a complete otaku by western standards at least ^_^


My anime addiction began in the autumn of 2008, just when my university life started, on a diet of Naruto, Bleach (One Piece followed a few months later) and Rurouni Kenshin. I’m a huge Zoro-fangirl, I love Shikamaru’s wit and Kenshin is one of my all-time-favourite tragic samurai characters. Since that time, I’ve been watching anime like crazy. Some months ago I discovered the satisfaction of watching especially meaningful, symbolic and spiritual series like Kino no Tabi, Haibane Renmei and Mushishi.



Shortly, I’m a sucker for kickass shounen, I absolutely love drama and tragedy (Clannad and friends),
but I highly enjoy the slightly more grown up material too. I’m not especially a shoujo fan, but I’ve decided not to be too harsh on this genre until I’ve seen the best shows (Skip beat and Kimi ni Todoke are want to watch candidates ^_^).I have a specific taste in humor; One Piece, Clannad and Ouran High School Host Club are fantastic, but I think things like Azumanga Daioh are meh, a bit too random for my taste. I detest ecchi anime with gravity defying boobs, lots of panty shots fanservice, zero sex and zero plot progression. I figured I might as well watch or read hentai or yaoi if I want to see some real action – which I do, occasionally, if I’m in the right mood (yaoi-lover speaking here ^_^).


So, now we have this info about me out of the way, let’s finally move on to my actual blog. It’s called P.A.A.S. Why? Well, because I believe the term is kinda kickass :-P. Officially, it means Post Awesome Anime Syndrome (the depressing and inactive state one enters after seeing a really awesome anime series, because you hate the fact that it’s ended and because all the other anime out there temporarily seems like crap compared to this jewel – don’t worry, the syndrome will fade within a few hours or days). Alternatively, it could also mean Post Average or Post Awful, which gives me the right to write about anything anime-related I please ;-)! I’ll write analyses, comparisons, rants, persuasions, real life situations linked to anime, and considering my musical background I might emphasize anime music every now and then. I suppose all of you aren’t really interested in the recent extraction of my wisdom teeth with the accompanying horror story and corresponding excruciating pain, and you probably won’t be willing to hear about my Psychology subjects or my Stravinsky’s Sacre du Printemps obsession either. Therefore, I’ll try to keep the blog strictly to anime, or at least linked to it ^_^.

Let’s see... I’ll at least try to post one blog every week from now on, if I’m unusually spirited I might go for two in some weeks. In the beginning I’ll also post some blogs I wrote on Anime Planet that are worthy of being displayed here as well. Finally, I’m not a native English speaker, so don’t be too hard on me if I’m being a grammar nazi...

Oh, before I end this post I'd like to let you hear my current favourite OP, it's of the anime Sora no Woto. Sadly, I couldn't find the one with the anime background, but I was able to find the original version. Blogspot completely flips when I try to upload a video here (it could also be my stubborn and obstinate computer) so I'll just give the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLEB4Vfpwc

I hope you’ll enjoy my blogging,
Greets, Sunagan

No comments:

Post a Comment